Thursday, August 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today would be my mom's 80th birthday and I am celebrating her.
First, I will wear the emerald earrings that dad gave her. When I wear them, somehow she is with me and experiencing  the things I am doing. I "take" her with me a lot.
Second, I will take off the lid of the cologne she used to wear and I will breathe deep.
Third, I go to the nursery and pick out some flowers for my garden. I have been doing this for the past few years and today will be no different.
Fourth, I will bake a cake. I wish I could remember what her favorite kind was.
And I will look for a glimpse of her in the mirror, possibly in the green eye color we shared, or the same chin, or thin lips, the high forehead. I will see her in the shape of my hands.
And I will miss her terribly.

2 comments:

  1. Me too, today. I almost wrote about her, but just couldn't. I was headed to a dermatology appointment that had me freaking out a bit--and I knew I'd be blubbering! Appointment went great, so now I am blubbering over your post! Keith and I are celebrating her birthday at lunch tomorrow. Wish you were here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL....Melinda! I see her in you ALL the time! She is celebrating with you ALWAYS!! Hugs to you & Happy Birthday Aunt Marge! Love you my CrAzY cousin!

    ReplyDelete