Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Thoughts on Baking Bread

Once a week I bake bread. I like baking bread.  Nothing says 'loving' quite like the smell and taste of homemade bread, especially when it is hot out of the oven.
My mother liked to bake bread. In the winter she would make bread so the oils would help relieve her dry hands. In the summer I think she liked to knead the bread when her four kids were under foot. Kneading bread can have therapeutic benefits! I also remember the summer that Dad made Mom and I a deal. If we made all of the bread products for the summer he would take us on vacation. We made our hot dog and hamburger buns and sandwich bread. Most of the bread baking fell on Mom's shoulders, since I was working at the local nursing home, but at the end of the summer we went to Yellowstone. Baking bread conjures up good memories for me.

 I have tried different types of bread, but we like the classic white bread. My favorite recipe comes from here:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gold-medal-classic-white-bread/20967ff8-467c-4445-99b4-b3a97a554dd2
 It comes out perfect every time.
Gather your ingredients, just a few: flour, sugar, salt, shortening, yeast and water.
To get the perfect temperature for the yeast, I use my temperature probe in my trusty microwave.



I knead the dough with olive oil, rather than flour.

Place in an oiled bowl and let raise till it has doubled it's size.

Roll the dough out in a rectangle. 

Roll the dough up and place in a bread pan. Then bake.

Remove from oven and brush butter over the top.

 While it is still hot, cut a slice, spread liberally with butter and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. And this is why you deserve that nice kitchen!! : ) Baking bread. Could you send some my way?!!

    ReplyDelete